What is it?
What causes it?
- and lifestyle factors.
Excerpt from The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book
How can I Boost My Metabolism and Banish Cellulite?
Cellulite is a stubborn problem for many people and is far more common in women. Even women who are not overweight may suffer with cellulite. If you have cellulite do not become depressed as it can gradually be eliminated by easy and proven techniques to improve your metabolism. Cellulite is the term used to describe the build up of irregular, lumpy fat deposits typically around the buttocks, hips and thighs. Cellulite has an “orange peel” appearance because the overlying skin is dimpled. The key to eradicating cellulite and keeping it off is found in restoring a healthy metabolism.
Factors that increase cellulite:
- Sluggish metabolic rate caused by imbalances in the function of the thyroid gland and liver.
- Build up of toxins in the fat cells. These toxins overload the energy factories inside the fat cells, which reduces their ability to burn fat. Most of these toxins are fat-soluble and only the liver can turn fat soluble toxins into water-soluble toxins. If this does not occur, the toxins cannot be eliminated from the body and will stay inside the fat cells. This will lead to persistence of cellulite.
- Hormonal changes which occur during pregnancy and the premenstrual phase of the cycle. Many women complain of weight gain and increased cellulite before menstrual bleeding, and during and after pregnancy. This can be prevented by correct diet and keeping your metabolism at efficient levels.
- Lack of exercise, which will reduce blood supply to the fatty areas and increase fluid retention in cellulite areas. We recommend swimming, cycling and brisk walking.
- Eating the wrong types of fats, which increases the workload of the liver. These “heavy fats” tend to accumulate inside the fat cells causing the cells to become hard and swollen. It is as if these fat cells become choked with fat, which slows down the metabolic processes inside the fat cells. These hard swollen fat cells then become trapped by connective tissues, which makes them irregular and lumpy in appearance. This gives the appearance of cellulite. It is vital to avoid these “heavy fats” if you want to eradicate cellulite.
Treatment and general recommendations
- Avoid artificial stimulants, artificial sweeteners, amphetamine type drugs and the herb Ephedra, because these things will temporarily hype up your metabolic rate and reduce your appetite. However once you stop them your system has become dependent upon them and you will probably feel tired, depressed and very hungry. The worst thing of all is that when you come off these stimulants your metabolic rate will be temporarily lower than ever and you will gain weight rapidly. The natural fat burners have a balancing effect upon the overall metabolism. They will not cause any dramatic changes in your metabolic rate, which is good, otherwise you will become a yo yo dieter and will get bigger over the long term. See www.dorway.com for information on artificial sweeteners.
- Exercise used as part of a programme to reduce cellulite and help keep it off needs to be isotonic. This means it needs to take you through a broad range of large movements such as in cycling, swimming, running, power walking or rowing. This kind of exercise shortens and lengthens your muscles rhythmically. The best exercise is definitely a constant low impact, rhythmical type where you are using the large muscle groups at an intensity that increases your heart rate to 60 percent of your maximum heart rate. This is called your target heart rate and it is necessary to achieve this if you want to increase your metabolic rate and so increase the rate at which you burn up excess fat. To find your maximum heart rate, subtract your age from 220. To find your target heart rate, multiply this figure (220 minus your age) by 0.6. You should leave no longer than 48 hours between each session of exercise and you can work out for anything between 30 to 60 minutes a session, three to five times a week. Ideally, you could do five 30 minute sessions which would keep your metabolic rate up and running, thereby preventing the build up of cellulite.
- Massage and hydrotherapy are also excellent in helping to stimulate lymphatic drainage and reduce cellulite. Massage with an anti-cellulite preparation and anti-cellulite gloves or mitt can be very useful and should be done two to three times per week.
- Can't Lose weight? You Could Have Sydnrome X This 12 week eating plan is best for the "Android body type" (which carries weight predominantly in the stomach area) although all body types can follow this eating plan.
- The Liver Cleansing Diet set out in chapter 5.
- The Healthy Liver and Bowel Book has 12 vital healthy eating principles for a healthy liver and bowel.
- The Body Shaping Diet for your body type (as stated "Androids tend to do best on the program in the "Syndrome X" book
- The fat cells in cellulite are literally choked and suffocated by stagnant fluids and waste products trapped in hardened connective tissues. Consuming more raw foods detoxifies these half-dead fat cells rather like giving them a 'spring clean'. Consider having one or two days of every week when you eat only raw fruits and vegetables. We recommend for everybody desirous of good health, not only for cellulite sufferers, that they eat one huge raw salad - full of fresh raw vegetables of all varieties - every day. Dressings can be made with lemon, lime or apple cider vinegar and a touch of cold pressed olive or flaxseed oil. You can find great recipes in any of the above mentioned books. Avocado is permitted, but limit yourself to a maximum of two avocados per week. To flavour the salads use fresh aromatic herbs and vegetables such as parsley, mint, coriander, basil, thyme, chives, and chopped spring onions. A rather exotic taste to the salad can be obtained by adding grated fresh ginger. For those who like more bite, use a dash of chilli or soy sauce, garlic or black pepper.
- Another essential tool to detoxify and revitalise fatty tissues is to drink pure water one and a half to two litres daily. This must be taken as water only or unsweetened herbal teas and not as ordinary tea or coffee.
- Avoid - saturated fats from fried foods, processed foods, all dairy products, fatty meats such as pork, organ meats, lamb, battery chickens, creamy or rich sauces and gravies, cakes and biscuits.
- Some women may find that they need to eliminate all red meats and chicken before they are able to shed their cellulite.
- To ensure adequate first-class protein intake consume either fish or three of the following at one meal - nuts, seeds, legumes and grains, every day.
- Avoid processed foods containing colourings, preservatives and flavourings such as fizzy drinks, boxed or packaged cereals and meals, foods made from white flour and sugar and foods high in salt.
- Restrict your alcohol intake to one or two glasses on the weekend or, if you are not fussed, avoid it completely.
- Avoid snacks between meals - restrict these to raw celery, carrots or apples only and eat only three meals a day.
Raw juicingRaw juices are an incredibly powerful healing tool and can improve the function of the liver, bowels and kidneys. This increases the elimination of toxins and waste products from the skin.
The fresh raw vegetable juices are vitally important. It is good to use both whole fruits and vegetables in the diet as well as the juices as the juices provide an easily absorbable form of nutraceuticals that are very beneficial for the liver. Juices made freshly from raw fruits and or vegetables have unique healing & rejuvenating properties. For those who feel they need an extra boost there is nothing better than having a raw juice every day. It will brighten up the day by providing extra energy & endurance.
Juices are unique because they allow the gut to receive very concentrated amounts of phyto-nutrients that could not be obtained by eating a normal amount of raw vegetables & fruits. Juices are high in: Vitamin C, bioflavonoids, carotenoids, living plant enzymes to aid digestion & vitamin K in green leafy vegetables.
- Stimulate thyroid function
- Stimulate brown fat metabolism
- Reduce sugar cravings
- Stabilise blood sugar levels
What controls the metabolic rate?
B. The Thyroid Gland
A. Improve Liver FunctionThis will increase the ability of the liver to burn fat and pump fat out of the body through the bile. It will also help to break down fat soluble toxins that would otherwise become trapped in the fatty tissues and lead to cellulite.
- Take 1 teaspoon twice daily in vegetable juice or water, or take 2 capsules twice daily. A good liver tonic will contain B vitamins , anti-oxidants, green tea, zinc, lecithin, cruciferous vegetable powder, and the amino acids taurine, cysteine, glutamine, and glycine, plus the powerful liver herb called St. Mary’s Thistle.
B. Improve Thyroid Function
- Take 2 tablets twice daily - A good selenium formula should contain selenium, zinc and calcium. Selenium is essential in maintaining efficient thyroid function and is needed for the conversion of the thyroid hormone called thyroxine (T4) into it's more biologically active form triiodothyronine (T3).
Stimulate your fat cells to burn fat
A fat inhibiting formula
- Take1 tablet 10 - 15 minutes before a meal with a large glass of water. A good combination will include brindleberry and tyrosine to help you burn fat safely without drug induced side effects. Tyrosine is a precursor of the energy hormones thyroxine and adrenalin. Tyrosine stimulates thyroid gland function and therefore metabolism. Tyrosine is needed by the thyroid gland to manufacture thyroid hormones. It reduces brain fatigue and helps improve moods. .
Brindleberry is a fruit used for centuries by the people of Asia because it enhances the flavour and satisfaction of meals. The rind of this fruit is rich in Hydroxy Citric Acid (HCA).
HCA is proven to naturally suppress the appetite and stop the production of new fat. HCA from Brindleberry is clinically proven to help inhibit the production of fat by blocking the enzyme that causes fat to be stored by the body. So while you're losing weight you are also halting the formation of new fat.
Your Body Type and Cellulite
There are 4 different body types: Android, Gynaeoid, Thyroid and Lymphatic.
Android TypeThe Android body type has broad shoulders and strong muscular limbs. The trunk is somewhat straight up and down and there is not much of a waist. The pelvis is narrow and the hips do not flare. Android types have an anabolic metabolism, which means that they tend to be “body- building” and will gain weight in the upper part of their body so that they may become apple-shaped. Most of their weight gain occurs on the front of the abdomen. They build muscle mass easily and make good athletes. They tend to produce more male hormones than do the other body types. Android types tend to crave foods that are high in cholesterol and salt. The body turns cholesterol into steroid hormones, which will have a body building effect. This may lead to some cellulite in the abdominal area, trunk and upper buttocks, but not below the hips.
Supplements to assist Android types:
- Take 1 with meals - Android body type tablets assist with weight excess occurring in the upper part of the body such as shoulders, neck, trunk and abdominal area.
- Take 2 daily with meals - Glucose stabilising capsules will assist with unstable blood sugar levels, hypoglycaemia, cravings for sugar and insulin resistance.
They do well with plant hormones (phyto-estrogens), which have a balancing effect and help them to reduce their oestrogen dependent weight gain.
Supplements to assist Gynaeoid types:
- Take 1 with meals - Gynaeoid body type tablets help with weight excess occurring in the lower part of the body affecting the thighs and buttocks. They can also aid fluid retention and/or cellulite affecting the lower part of the body.
- Take 2 capsules twice daily to assist with balancing the hormones naturally, thereby reducing cellulite.
Supplements to assist Thyroid types:
- Take 1 with meals - Thyroid body tablets help improve the function of the adrenal glands and weight excess occurring on the abdomen and thighs, cravings for sugar and stimulants and fatigue.
Lymphatic TypeLymphatic body types gain weight all over the body, and have a “cuddly baby doll” appearance. Weight gain occurs very easily because lymphatic types have a very slow metabolic rate. They also have a dysfunctional lymphatic system resulting in generalised fluid retention, which makes them look fatter than they are. They are prone to deposits of fat swollen with lymphatic fluid, which can cause severe cellulite. This type of cellulite gives them thick puffy limbs so that it is hard to see their bone structure. They often avoid exercise and crave dairy products, both of which will exacerbate their cellulite.
Supplements to assist Lymphatic types:
- Take 1 with meals - Lymphatic body tablets help assist with overall weight loss, fluid retention, swelling of limbs and cellulite which is typical of this body type.
In The Past
Android was called the mesomorph, Thyroid was called the ectomorph, Lymphatic was called the endomorph; the Gynaeoid body type was not described, probably being considered a combination of several types.